Friday, September 8, 2017

The Mom Chronicles

With every chronicle of life there is a lesson learned to get us through the next one. It's no different for us moms.

I have a huge confession that will probably appall my fan base. It's something that is going to cause gasps and whispers. I'm pretty sure at the next booster club meeting I might be shunned, but here it is.

I don't really like Starbucks coffee.

I know it goes against everything I'm stereotyped as. I have the messy bun, the SUV that carpools kids across two counties, and I do enjoy a pumpkin spice latte on a cool morning. Just not Starbucks.

I am that mom that savors that moment right after all the kids are dropped off at school, when the sun is beating down on my Ford Explorer as I sit contently in my driveway for thirty minutes doing nothing but sipping my coffee and enjoying the solitude of nothing. It is a happy place for me before the chaos of chronicles hit again.

I think of coffee like wine or beer. There are people who are connoisseurs that really know what good coffee is. I consider myself a coffee connoisseur and possible a French fry connoisseur. However, that's a blog for another day.

Good coffee shops have artists instead of baristas. Their sole purpose in life is to make sure your coffee is good enough to keep you sane throughout the entire day with one grande cup. Most of those franchise coffee places just can't cut it. Starbucks is the worst. I have been to many and when I say they very seldom get my order correct, I mean that in earnest. If I am paying almost six dollars for a cup of coffee, it better be correct.

I've heard the term "White Girl Coffee", thrown around and it may be offensive to some, but it's relatively true. If you don't believe me, drive by any Starbucks shop at 8AM the first day that they bring back the Pumpkin Spice for the fall. You will see what I mean.

I prefer the local shops. I had one that I loved when I lived in New Albany, MS called The Coffee Addict. I actually wrote most of my first novel sitting behind it's cozy doors. A few years ago it closed and I moved away.

In my new town of Hattiesburg, MS. Java Moe's is what's up in the coffee world. This morning I got my XL Pumpkin Spice for $1 off because it's flavor of the week and paid less than $6 including the tip. I'm still sipping it as I write this.



My second favorite here is actually a chain. I know I'm already contradicting myself, but it's Joe Muggs inside Books A Million. The baristas that work there is what makes it great. They go out of their way to make the coffee perfect for you. I think maybe the smell of books makes the coffee better. It's a happy place for me as well.

If you are used to just driving through to get your white mocha vanilla soy latte with extra cream, sacrifice a little of your time you will have when your sitting in your driveway in solitude to go in a local shop and place your to go order. I promise your moment of solitude will be worth every second to stand in line.

Thank you for reading my blog. Please click my links to keep my bills paid so that I can drink $5 coffee and write more articles for you. If you want to help with my sanity you can order from my Amazon.

 
 
http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-8414707-12987763


No comments:

Post a Comment